Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Guest Post from Nancy (Chelsey's mom)

Before I left my small world in Worthington, Kentucky, I was often asked how I could go so far away to South America.  I have to admit the main draws were 1) seeing my Chelsey and her Bill, 2) seeing the world that Chelsey and Bill were experiencing, 3) seeing the preschool and how it functions and 4) an added attraction would be to see the rainforest. As I pause to reflect on my time here, this is what comes to mind.

When I had to wait 3 hours to get my visa into Paraguay, knowing Chelsey was on the other side of the door, it was hard. The joy when I hugged her brought to mind other times we celebrated:  her birth, her baptism, tennis games, graduations, her wedding. Then there was Bill, taking pictures, taking charge of transportation, and not complaining about the wait, as my dear husband would have.

After the six hour bus ride, we arrived at their home in Encarnacion.  The house that was to be my home for the next 10 days, was very nice and large, getting to it was perhaps as eye opening as to what may be coming.

The preschool room was full of tables and chairs, many small tables and chairs.  Enough for 30 children.  A backpack, that hung on the back of each chair, contained notebook, cup, and towel.  A stray toy or a change of clothes were in some. There was one small hanging shelf, a table holding supplies, teacher's desk/table, a small waste basket, and a bigger, unpadded, wooden chair.  What a difference when compared to my well-stocked classroom and the collection of 40 years of "stuff".

A visit to Iguazu falls and the rainforest was spectacular.  Toucans, monkeys, exotic plants, waterfalls, and other wonderful creations of God, took my breath away.  




But the real part of Paraguay that stole my heart, was not the kind Canossian nuns, the beautiful scenery, the mouth-watering food, the time I spent with Chelsey and Bill, nor the idea of just being in South America.  It was the kids.  Pure and simple.  Their smiles, their tears, and their laughter filled me with real joy.  A smile and a word, and then laughter from a child that had not done these things before.  Silly made-up games that let us communicate without understanding each others' language.  Then I got to play with these beautiful little people outside with toys in what Chelsey calls "the place where toys go to die".   I did not see one unbroken toy...but not one complaint. When they were fed bread every morning with warm sweetened-condensed milk and porridge with bread every day for lunch, 
they never complained. And then I visited a few homes. I knew why they did not complain.  When the kids come to school, it probably seems like coming to a palace--glass windows, tiled floors, running water, bathrooms, and plenty of fresh, hot food. 

One more thought before I close.  As many of you know, Crane Creek offered to pay for the airline backage fees so I could bring clothes for the kids here.  American Airlines waived all the fees after I explained that they were going to serve kids in Paraguay.  The money that was saved from baggage fees will go to repair the house of Eduardo, one of Chelsey's students (the cute kid in his mom's hands at right).  His home was badly damaged in a recent storm (see pictures below).  Right now, his mom and four brothers are staying with family in a place not big enough for the people that live there.  Not having an engineering background hinders my judgement, but I do not know if the four brick walls could even hold a roof.  The lean-to next to it was missing walls as well as doors windows and a roof.  This too, had been a part of his house.

Remember the story about a boy throwing starfish back into the sea?  Maybe this child will have a roof over his head, but a floor, a bathroom, a bed of his own may be out of reach for him.

As you tuck a child or grandchild into his bed tonight, say a prayer for all of the Eduardos of this world. I know I will.







No comments: