Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday's Five

5. About once a week or so, as we're walking around our bario, I look for the imminent ice cream truck that's blaring the hokey polka music.  At this point, I weigh the risks of eating food out of a truck in a foreign country versus the satisfaction of a popsicle... I mean, the truck is probably really dirty, but the popsicle is probably wrapped up, and I did get that tetanus booster before I came...  THEN, I  remember in disappointment that there is no ice-cream, that people in Paraguay just actually enjoy polka music.

4.  I finally found time to learn how to French braid my own hair!  Only about 20 years after it would have been useful.  My next challenge, upon Brammell's request, is the Katniss Everdeen.


3.  Sometimes being a volunteer means filling up 75 kilos of flour in individual packages.  This is all well and good if you don't consider my irrational (yes, irrational) fear that giant spiders live in large bags of flour.


2.  I have it on good authority that going too fast on the merry-go-round will, in fact, make you puke.

1.  There is no such thing as a substitute teacher in Jardin... unless you count me.  Today it was just me and 24 Spanish-speaking three year-olds.  Get well soon, Gladys, por favor!!!

No comments: