Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Denied re-entry to Paraguay & a Laryssa sighting

We spent the day in Posadas, Argentina.  Afterwards, Paraguay denied me readmission to the Country.  That is not a fun experience.  I begged, I pleaded, I claimed lack of language understanding, I begged, I pleaded... all to no avail.

I called the Sisters - "Yo necesito ayuda!!!"  The Sisters warned it would be a while because of the lengthy line for the bridge.  After sitting for an hour at Immigration, Laryssa (that girl that I got kicked out of Jardin for flipping me the bird) showed up with her mom at the Immigration office.  I am sure they both love me.  Turns out Laryssa and her mama are besties with the lady that refused to allow my admission.  You have never seen me kiss so much butt.  Upon Chelsey's suggestion, I went over and said "hi" and displayed amazing amounts of interest and compassion towards my former student for 10 minutes - in the presence of the immigration lady.  The lady who denied me admission did not even flinch.  This display of caring emotion won me no favors.

An hour later the Sisters arrived.  I was flustered when explaining the situation to the the Sisters and they thought I was in Argentina.  They waited on the bridge for 1 hour before finding us.  Before I explain the actual problem, you should know that I am in Paraguay in the Sisters house, safe.

The problem is this:
  1. When Chelsey and I arrived we got a 3 month Visa at the airport (valid through May 28).  We are in Paraguay for almost 6 months so we accepted we would have to get a new Visa around May 28.
  2. To get a new Visa, your passport must be Valid for ATLEAST 6 months following the issuance of the Visa.
  3. My passport was set to expire within 6 months following May 28 SO I needed a new passport.
  4. I got a new passport.
  5. My original Paraguay visa is in the old passport.  I was advised by both a man in the immigration office and the US embassy that this is not a problem.  I just need to carry BOTH passports for the time being (old passport with the Visa and the new passport).  Later, when I get a new visa (in my new passport, I can ditch the old passport).
  6. The lady at the bridge in Paraguay does not agree with this logic.  She believes that, because my old passport is invalidated, all the Visa's are also invalidated.  Hence, NO ENTRY TO PARAGUAY.
After hours of sitting on the floor at Immigration and preparing to be deported (see my point of view below), the Sisters arrived and I explained the situation.  They argued with the woman at immigration for an hour (Chelsey thanked them for being our lawyers tonight) and, ultimately, the woman agreed to provide me a 3 day pass so she could consult with her boss.  I am calling the US Embassy first thing in the morning.  It is a national holiday tomorrow (Labor Day) so I hope the US embassy is open.  One of the other Sisters is going to call her friend that works in Immigration.  I am not confident in either of these solutions.  I think it is likely I will have to travel 12 hours to this city in Argentina (Clorinda) to get a new Visa (in my new passport) in the coming 3 days.

On the bright side... I did not get deported... but check back on Friday because that could change.



No comments: